APM346-2012 > Home Assignment 3

Problem 2

(1/3) > >>

Calvin Arnott:
It seems to me that in question 2 in homework 3, the letter "v" is used to refer to both a constant, and a function u(x,t) = v(x - v t, t). Under this interpretation everything works out nicely, and I assume this to be the case.

Is this the correct? Or is v a function which recursively calls itself? If not, it might be worth changing the question to have a different letter to represent the constant or function.

Victor Ivrii:

--- Quote from: Calvin Arnott on October 04, 2012, 03:26:12 PM ---It seems to me that in question 2 in homework 3, the letter "v" is used to refer to both a constant, and a function u(x,t) = v(x - v t, t). Under this interpretation everything works out nicely, and I assume this to be the case.

Is this the correct? Or is v a function which recursively calls itself? If not, it might be worth changing the question to have a different letter to represent the constant or function.

--- End quote ---

Good catch--updated!

Levon Avanesyan:
In this problem it is stated that we should use formulas (1)-(2). But shouldn't we have an initial condition in order to apply these formulas.

Victor Ivrii:

--- Quote from: Levon Avanesyan on October 06, 2012, 02:37:19 PM ---In this problem it is stated that we should use formulas (1)-(2). But shouldn't we have an initial condition in order to apply these formulas.

--- End quote ---

Sure we need: so add $u(x,0)=g(x)$.

Peishan Wang:
Professor for part (b), is there any restriction on when we can use method of reflection (continuation) to solve IBVP? Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version