Author Topic: problem 3  (Read 26565 times)

Aida Razi

• View Profile
Re: problem 3
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »
Question 3 part a: p has to be= ((y-x+2kαt) / (√ 2kt)) instead of ((y-x+2kαt) / (√ 4kt)) in Peishan's solution.

Peishan Wang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 01:56:36 AM »
I think it doesn't matter. If you use the error function (the first attachment) provided by our professor, then you let p = ((y-x+2kαt) / (√ 2kt)). If you use the other form (the second attachment) which is used in the textbook, then you let p = ((y-x+2kαt) / (√ 4kt)).

And in another post, http://forum.math.toronto.edu/index.php?topic=49.0 Julong has shown that these two forms are actually equivalent.

Professor can you provide some feedback to the posted solutions? It seems that you ignored this post completely. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:02:23 AM by Peishan Wang »

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of Victor Ivrii
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 04:22:42 AM »
I think it doesn't matter. If you use the error function (the first attachment) provided by our professor, then you let p = ((y-x+2kαt) / (√ 2kt)). If you use the other form (the second attachment) which is used in the textbook, then you let p = ((y-x+2kαt) / (√ 4kt)).

And in another post, http://forum.math.toronto.edu/index.php?topic=49.0 Julong has shown that these two forms are actually equivalent.

Professor can you provide some feedback to the posted solutions? It seems that you ignored this post completely. Thanks.

You are correct.

PS I am not on 24/7 shift

Aida Razi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 12:45:51 PM »
Solution to question3 part b is attached!

Fanxun Zeng

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »
Thanks Aida for posting Part b in December. As there is still NO solution posted for Part d yet, I spent 1 hour to write part d and post attached same 2 images, first by camera, second by scan.

Thanks professor. Here I used error function in the textbook, instead of that given in the homework, but yes they are same. In part d, I got limit u(x,t)=1 for Neumann condition.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:25:23 PM by Peter Zeng »