Author Topic: Are the grades going to be bellcurved?  (Read 7996 times)

Levon Avanesyan

• View Profile
Are the grades going to be bellcurved?
« on: November 02, 2012, 06:07:14 PM »
So, the average is pretty low. The question is: Are the grades going to be bellcurved?

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of Victor Ivrii
Re: Are the grades going to be bellcurved?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »
So, the average is pretty low. The question is: Are the grades going to be bellcurved?

I am not sure that I understand how changing the shape (bell curving) would increase an average. I see that belling in this case means taking some marks from the best performers and giving them to those who did not do so well (I understand, you meant also shifting up, but you did not say so).  The answer is "no"

100+       1
90 - 100   8
80 - 89   14
70 - 79   21
60 - 69   19
50 - 59   24
40 - 49   20
30 - 39   13
20 - 29    8
10 - 19    3
0 -   9    2

Bowei Xiao

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
when can we start to request for remark?

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
when can we start to request for remark?

When you look at your solutions, compare with the correct ones (posted on this forum) and determine that you really have the ground to appeal. And first you go to TAs

Ian Kivlichan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 04:44:13 AM »

Levon: Bell curving is absolutely forbidden by the ArtSci Faculty (http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/faculty-staff/teacher-info/academic-handbook-for-instructors/sections-4-5#calibrating):
Calibration of test scores should be done fairly and equitably, and bear a justifiable relation to academic performance. Policy explicitly forbids manipulating marks to fit into a “normal curve” or any other prior expectation – in the language of the Policy: “academic assessment must not be predetermined by any system of quotas that specifies the number or percentage of grades allowable at any grade level. ”

As far as I know, linear adjustments are most commonly used to change course averages (via new_mark = old_mark * multiplier + shift), but this depends entirely on whether Prof. Ivrii thinks the marks are fair.

Usually, course coordinators are pressured to maintain a C or C+ average (the lowest course average on my transcript is C, and the lowest I've heard of is a C-), so since the TT1 average is 57.5% (D+) it's likely that the final average will be higher.

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 05:37:54 AM »

As far as I know, linear adjustments are most commonly used to change course averages (via new_mark = old_mark * multiplier + shift), but this depends entirely on whether Prof. Ivrii thinks the marks are fair.

Actually class coordinator is Prof Colliander (see outlines) but such decisions are taken together. We expect that several students drop from the course and an average goes higher.

About bell curves. Pretty often marks have two bumps due to the fact that in fact students belong to  two very different groups. You can see that it is close to this in TT1 and anyway "the summit" is very flat

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:11:35 PM by Victor Ivrii »

Aida Razi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »
I was wondering where we can get our term test back?

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
I was wondering where we can get our term test back?

Methinks TAs will make office hours Wed 5-6