Author Topic: Forum rules  (Read 7186 times)

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of Victor Ivrii
Forum rules
« on: August 15, 2018, 05:31:34 AM »
Welcome to this forum!

The main purpose of this forum is not the communication with instructors but peer-to-peer. I noticed that some of you answer the questions of your peers and I really appreciate, but I would like to see more -- much more -- of this!

It runs in conjunction with the course website. More permanent and systematic information is placed on website, while forum is for discussion. Please read before registering!

Registration
  • You can select any username (login) you want (take a rather short one). Username is what only you (and Admin) can see.
  • However  change your (screen) Name  (the one which everybody sees) to one easily identifiable (Admin should be able to identify you with a student enrolled to this course--and matching BlackBoard name; otherwise your posting privileges could be reduced or revoked):  Open Profile > Account Settings and look for "Name".
  • It would be preferable to use your University of Toronto email address.
  • BTW you can have a cool avatar too. Please do not display any confidential info.
  • You cannot change the loginname (used for login).  But there is no need.  Nobody except you knows your password - even Admins - but Admins don't need  to know it.

Some forum rules
  • Please use different boards according to their description (I will create new ones if needed).
  • Do not hijack topics: if a topic is devoted to some question, do not post anything which is not related. Start a new topic.
  • On the other hand, do not start new topic answering to the existing post; use the same topic.
  • Do not put in the same post several not related things - make several posts instead (in different topics).
  • Do not post solution which coincides with the solution already posted by someone else; exception: typed solution beats the scanned one.
  • Do not spam (post irrelevant messages, especially to promote something), flood (post many messages with very little or no sense, like "me too", "I like this post", ...) or flame (messages, containing personal attacks and heated arguments).
  • Do not thank instructors.
  • Do not post snapshots of paper documents, scan them (with the scanner or smartphone).
  • Do not use red color (it belongs to Admins and Moderators), large fonts
  • Read and search before postings.
  • Use common sense.

Karma (not anymore)
  • Useful posts are rewarded by Karma which later translates to Bonus points (in the final mark); the exact conversion rate depends on the year and class.
  • Further, your posts and active participation in the class will be a decisive factor if you ask me for a recommendation letter for a Graduate School. To write such letter I need to know something about you beyond your marks (and your final mark is in the transcript anyway). Participation in the forum automatically leaves a trace.

Have questions?
  • If you have a mathematical question which you think is of general interest--ask it on the Forum.
    • If you have a non-mathematical question which you think is of general interest--ask it on the Quercus Discussions.
      • If you have a private question--ask it by email.

MathJax
  • Both this forum and website use MathJax to display mathematics.
[/list][/list]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:31:16 AM by Victor Ivrii »