Author Topic: Grading Scheme  (Read 1403 times)

Andrew Hardy

• View Profile
Grading Scheme
« on: January 16, 2018, 10:12:11 PM »
Would anyone be willing to explain the grading scheme that is posted in the course outline? I am unfamiliar with the notation. How do we receive bonus marks for lecture? For the bonus forum question, do we receive bonus marks for making any meaningful contribution or just the right answer? Is it then a bit of a race to finish it first?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:14:50 PM by andrewkhardy »

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of Victor Ivrii
Re: Grading Scheme
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:55:05 AM »
Would anyone be willing to explain the grading scheme that is posted in the course outline? I am unfamiliar with the notation. How do we receive bonus marks for lecture? For the bonus forum question, do we receive bonus marks for making any meaningful contribution or just the right answer? Is it then a bit of a race to finish it first?
Please, read before posting!
http://www.math.toronto.edu/courses/apm346h1/20181/outlines.html
1) below formula all abbreviations are  explained.
2) For making meaningful contribution, and not just for bonus problems, but also for answering properly someone's questions, or sometimes even for the right question asked
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:48:27 AM by Victor Ivrii »

Andrew Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »
Dr. Ivrii,

Some additional grading questions. Is there any chance we could have a bonus Quiz? I have seen that previous years had them. Adjusting to a new TA and a grading change means I'm sure many of us could use the opportunity to earn more marks or replace a quiz we did not understand.

In general, will there be any adjustment to marks? In particular, if students made drastic improvements between TT1 and TT2 could the second term test be weighted the whole amount? Again it has taken me a while as a second year student to adjust to this course and the expectations.

This may be irrelevant, but I have heard from my peers in the other section that between problem-sets being more generous in marks then quizzes, and a less rigorous midterm, their averages are higher.

I know I should focus more on learning the concepts than the marks I receive, but this has given myself and others some amount of stress.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:27:02 AM by Andrew Hardy »

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 05:47:22 AM »
I can make a bonus quiz but then when? I will see if I can do it Monday during lecture of the last week (since only T5102 will have a tutorial)

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »
OK, I made a bonus quiz. The average is 2 / 6 out of 30 who wrote it. There will be bonus questions (two are already for Bonus Quiz; yeah, right: bonus on the top of the bonus).

Also posting of solutions to the Final Exam brings bonus points

In the Bonus Quiz which I graded, I made some comments on the Forum. The same way, grading FE I will put some comments. These comments, together with individual mark for each problem on BlackBoard and with the posted solutions will help you to decide if you want to ask to see your FE paper.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:54:00 AM by Victor Ivrii »