Author Topic: Continuity of solution  (Read 1102 times)

Jingxuan Zhang

• Elder Member
    • View Profile
Continuity of solution
« on: January 20, 2018, 02:49:57 PM »
This I found on homework 2: to determine the condition for the solution of
$$yu_{x}+xu_{y}=0$$
to be continuous at origin. Similar problems were covered in one previously lecture and several pictures were drawn. But even then I only vaguely felt those diagrams familiar (phase portrait covered in ODE), not their concrete connection. Please inform me how should I infer from the characteristic the condition for solution continuity, or even better, how to handle intersection of characteristics (as in another part of the question, where the circular characteristics shrink to a point).

Jaisen Kuhle

• View Profile
Re: Continuity of solution
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »
This I found on homework 2: to determine the condition for the solution of
$$yu_{x}+xu_{y}=0$$
to be continuous at origin. Similar problems were covered in one previously lecture and several pictures were drawn. But even then I only vaguely felt those diagrams familiar (phase portrait covered in ODE), not their concrete connection. Please inform me how should I infer from the characteristic the condition for solution continuity, or even better, how to handle intersection of characteristics (as in another part of the question, where the circular characteristics shrink to a point).

I tried posting a partial answer in the homework section. Let me know what you think.