Author Topic: lecture 30  (Read 10358 times)

Chiara Moraglia

• View Profile
lecture 30
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:21:45 PM »
Hi,

I tried solving the Euler ODE (3) in the lecture 30 notes, but by plugging in P:=ρm as usual I obtained λ=m(m+1) from the characteristic equation not λ=l(lm+1) as is given in the notes. I was wondering where this l comes from? Also, in equation (5) m=1 is chosen. Why?

Thank you!

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of Victor Ivrii
Re: lecture 30
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:25:35 AM »
Hi,

I tried solving the Euler ODE (3) in the lecture 30 notes, but by plugging in P:=ρm as usual I obtained λ=m(m+1) from the characteristic equation not λ=l(lm+1) as is given in the notes. I was wondering where this l comes from? Also, in equation (5) m=1 is chosen. Why?

Thank you!

Because it was a series of misprints after  (30.3). Thanks for spotting
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 01:18:12 PM by Victor Ivrii »

Chiara Moraglia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »
Have the lecture 30 notes been altered? The link above is not working for some reason. The notes in the original link on the homepage still have the 'l' and m=1. Thanks!

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of Victor Ivrii
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »
Have the lecture 30 notes been altered? The link above is not working for some reason. The notes in the original link on the homepage still have the 'l' and m=1. Thanks!

because it was a wrong link--try again. I think I replaced everywhere $m$ by $l$ in this place ($m$ appears later and runs from $-l$ to $l$).