Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal website of Victor Ivrii
WTH?
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:08:17 AM »
Aida, WTH? In MAT244 your scan was a golden standard of scanning
http://weyl.math.toronto.edu:8888/MAT244-2012S-Forum/index.php?topic=38.msg111#msg111 (see, I remember, so good it was), and now this? Such posts defy the whole purpose of this forum, it is not to submit your papers for grading (you submit it to TA) but even this is difficult as quality of scan is poor (actually you used cellphone without taking care of settings), but to share the solution with your classmates who can comment, find errors or correct them.

From this point the typed solution using MathJax is far the best as I can edit it, just marking the place where I see an error, and anyone can copy-paste code from it. But apart of this your former clean black-white scan with perfect position of the paper was the very best thing.

Here you use colour (not even grayscale) scan and some papers are horizontal and some diagonal ... everyone has a really hard time to read them. I admit, some of your submissions a better than othersbut  from the point of view of this forum I must consider all of them non-existent :(. It looks like you just decided to capture the space preventing anyone else from posting the solutions.

So, everyone should feel to post solutions.

------

Also:
some people used paper clips despite our request to staple and some even tried to use "poor man paper clips" just folding several times the corner of the paper and adding a bit of saliva. Sorry, no of these constructions is robust enough to prevent separation of pages. I hope I caught every such attempt and stapled, but I am not sure. I am also not sure if Prof Colliander managed with this. So, if you have not stapled and your pages are separated and lost, you know whom to blame.

Not everyone indicated the section where to bring your papers back (so get such papers from TA who graded it).

Please use the standard paper (letter size). Someone used A4 (a bit more narrow and a longer overseas size). It looks like a little thing but also causes problems when dealing with tens of papers.

And finally, again: please, do not come to submit papers during the class -- only before lecture, during the break or after. Everyone in the night class feels tired (instructor in the least degree because of adrenalin rush) and such distractions are rather disruptive.

Aida Razi

• View Profile
Re: WTH?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »
Dear professor Ivrii,

Thank you for remembering me :) But I spent too much time to resize them and post them; Some of them is readable, can you please consider them?
Next time I will use scanner.

Thank you,
Aida 

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »
Dear professor Ivrii,

Thank you for remembering me :) But I spent too much time to resize them and post them; Some of them is readable, can you please consider them?
Next time I will use scanner.

Thank you,
Aida

Barely readable. You don't need to resize (may be just rotate). However correct initial settings of the scanner/camera are crucial.

I definitely do not want to encourage this type of submission. If it was from some clueless newbie I could consider, but from veteran-poster -- no way  >:(

BTW, has anyone any idea how much time it takes to prepare 1 hour of lecture notes or 1 home assignment? 2-3 hours :-)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:18:07 AM by Victor Ivrii »

Zarak Mahmud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »
BTW, has anyone any idea how much time it takes to prepare 1 hour of lecture notes or 1 home assignment? 2-3 hours :-)

I started using vim recently in an effort to type TeX commands faster. But it has a steep learning curve  :(

Victor Ivrii

• Administrator
  • Elder Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »

I started using vim recently in an effort to type TeX commands faster. But it has a steep learning curve  :(

I am not sure if vim speeds things up. I am using Mou (MacOSX markdown editor with real time preview and html export), still slow